Favorite tropical fruit is one of the superfoods – discover how to make the most of its many benefits!
1. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese and copper.
2. It’s super nutritious, and low in calories – one cup of fresh pineapple has only 76 calories.
3. Fresh pineapple contains bromelain – an enzyme that helps the body break down proteins, improves digestion and has anti-inflammatory effects.
4. Preservation and heat treatment destroy the activity of bromelain, so it is recommended to eat fresh pineapple.
5. In order for the body to make the most of the benefits of fresh pineapple, it is best to eat it one to two hours before or after a meal.
6. Due to the ability of pineapple to break down proteins, do not combine it with yogurt or cottage cheese until just before serving as otherwise bromelain will break down the proteins in these foods by changing their taste and texture. On the other hand, pineapple is a great addition to meat marinades because it softens it and contributes to a better taste. Pineapple goes well with chicken and shrimp in salads.
7. Although pineapple is available in stores all year round, its peak season is from March to June.
8. Pineapple is most delicious when served at room temperature. While refrigerating it can make it fresher, it will lose on flavor. If you still store it in the refrigerator, put it on the highest shelf because the temperature is highest in that part of the refrigerator. Avoid keeping in a closed plastic bag.
9. Recent research shows that pineapple contains substances that have anticancer effects.
10. Pineapple, both as a food and as an addition to cosmetics, cleanses the skin and helps remove cellulite.